MicroFIT Review Under Way
Yesterday the Ontario government announced that they have begun a review of the MicroFIT program, scheduled two years ago when the FIT program was first announced. The review will include:
- A review of FIT rates to balance the interests of rate payers while at the same time encourage clean energy investment
- A review of new technologies for possible inclusion in the program
- Assessment of government’s processes; how they can better establish Ontario as a leader in the green economy
- A review of the Renewable Energy Approval process
What Does This Mean for You?
If you already have a MicroFIT contract, a conditional offer or applied on or before August 31st, 2011 then it means nothing for you. If you applied after August 31st or are applying now then you will be “subject to new rules and pricing”.
Get your Application in NOW
The announcement is clear that all applications being recieved now will be time stamped and processed after the two-year review is complete and changes are announced on December 14th, 2011.
Of course there is no way of telling what the new rules will be – but it is almost certain that the current rate of 80.2 cents for roof mount solar PV systems will be coming down. I suspect that after December 14th the government will announce that all applications that have been recieved will be honoured at the 80.2 cent rate but that all new applications after December 14th, 2011 will have a new lower rate.
Sooooo… you need to get you application in now and hold your spot. (Thank goodness my wife and I just did, whew!)
If I’m wrong and the OPA does not honour the old rate then you still have an application in the system and you can then decide whether or not to go ahead based on the new rate. Either way NOW is the time to put your application in to get your solar project started.
As I have said before I work with Solar Logix and we have helped thousands of people submit MicroFIT applications. If you want to submit your application now click here to send me an email.
Make Your Voice Heard!
There are several ways that you can make your opinion heard and find out more:
1. The OPA is holding a webinar with more information about the MicroFIT review tomorrow (Tuesday November 2nd at 10am). To register and participate in the webinar you must register here.
I am going to attend this webinar, and I’ll be blogging about it to keep you in the loop.
2. You can also complete a survey the OPA has set up for feedback on the FIT program by going to the website of the Ontario Ministry of Energy and clicking on the link “Click here to take the survey” (it is about half way down the page).
Stay informed to get the most of this awesome solar energy program in Ontario!